The first operations are performed at recently founded Grand View Hospital
“Three patients were operated upon last Tuesday in the new Grand View Hospital, the patients coming from Hatfield, Souderton and Perkasie…” Central News, Perkasie, Pa., Nov. 5, 1913
May 25, 1915
The first class of Grand View’s Nurse’s Training School graduates with a one-year degree in nursing. Later, the program would be revised to two-year and three-year programs. Grand View is the only approved school of nursing in Bucks County.
The first Lawn Fete is a well-attended gala affair for the public at large and raises around $150 — a large sum at the time.
May 13, 1926
The first Caesarean section is performed at Grand View Hospital. Both the mother and baby are reported to be doing well. Earlier in the year, the first set of twins was delivered at Grand View.
The American College of Surgeons accredits Grand View Hospital, and has been continuously accredited as fulfilling all standards of care by the College since this date.
Dr. Michael Peters, the first trained specialist in Internal Medicine to join Grand View staff, is named Chief of Medicine. He is the first to use antibiotics and sulfonamides to treat streptococcal and other infections, to institute programs for the treatment and management of diabetes, and to use x-ray and in-house lab studies in diagnosis of disease.
Dr. Violet H. Kidd of Souderton becomes the first woman physician to affiliate with the Grand View medical staff.
Mar 1, 1940
The first maternity patient is admitted to Grand View’s new maternity wing. Each year more babies are being delivered in the hospital and the demand for maternity beds far exceeds what is available. Ground was broken on the new annex in 1939 “in the hope of better service to a larger number of people.” During the first year of the wing’s existence, 337 babies are born.
Sept 16, 1948
The first blood exchange at Grand View for a newborn infant with an Rh reaction is performed with success.
Grand View receives full accreditation by the newly formed Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals, the highest honor a hospital can receive. To date, Grand View has been continuously accredited as fulfilling all standards of care by the association’s successor, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
The first emergency open chest heart massage for sudden cardiac arrest is performed at Grand View successfully by Dr. Charles Winn.
The first partially artificial hip joint is created when Dr. Richard White replaces the crushed head of a femur with a metallic prosthesis.
A six-bed Intensive Coronary Care Unit is completed, concentrating all maximum-care equipment to the area on the first floor. The Unit is the first of its kind between Abington and Allentown.
Dr. Howard Graham successfully removes a portion of a patient’s esophagus and attaches the remaining portion to the patient’s stomach. It is the first operation of this type performed at Grand View Hospital.
Full in-house 24-hour anesthesia coverage begins at Grand View, long before other hospitals in the region offer this level of service.
The Department of Pediatrics relocates to a newly constructed, modern pediatric unit, the only separate and discrete pediatric unit in the region.
The first in-house computer at Grand View Hospital comes to Data Processing to fulfill Medicare requirements.
The Emergency Room expands to four beds, and the first full-time Medical Director, Dr. Robert Lavin, is hired to bring his vast ER experience to Grand View. The scope of care provided in the ER changed greatly to include more aggressive treatment. A cardiac monitor and defibrillator became integral pieces of equipment, and the nursing staff received training in the interpretation of cardiac rhythms and resuscitation procedures.
The first class of the Career Ladder nursing program graduates as the first such class in Pennsylvania. The decision was made to discontinue the three-year Grand View Hospital diploma school of nursing upon graduation of the 1973 class, and to replace that program with the Career Ladder education program, by which an LPN would be eligible for examination as an RN after 12 to 15 months of instruction.
First radio communication between the Grand View Emergency Department and its ambulances takes place. ER physicians receive training and certification to become “Command Physicians.” Grand View Hospital becomes actively involved with Bucks County Emergency Medical Service Council (EMS).
Kathleen Langen, RN, and Ellen Clark, RN, are among the first group of Emergency Room nurses in the nation to take and pass the Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN) exam. Kathleen Langen designs a new two-part Emergency Record, which is still in use today.
A Hospice program is initiated to care for terminally ill patients.
Grand View opens its first satellite health care facility in Pennsburg
The first hospital-wide no-smoking ban is instituted.
Laparoscopic removal of the gall bladder is made available to patients at Grand View Hospital. In the coming months, more and more procedures are performed “through the scope,” including laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomies and laparoscopic repair of hernias.
Grand View’s first dedicated Joint Replacement Center opens its doors.
Grand View opens the David M. Flowers, MD, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, named in memory of the well-respected cardiologist. The hospital is one of 11 community hospitals throughout Pennsylvania granted permission to operate a cath lab without having a cardiac surgery program.
Grand View Hospital bans smoking on the entire hospital campus, as well as its outpatient centers and the offices of Grand View Medical Practices.
HealthGrades, the nation’s leading healthcare ratings company recognizes Grand View Hospital with the Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety™. Grand View is the only hospital to be recognized in a seven county region, which includes Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Northampton and Philadelphia.
Grand View partners with Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania (CHOP) to offer a Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).